1,2-Dichloroethane,also known as dichloroethane, is a transparent, colorless or light yellow, oily, synthetic, flammable liquid chlorinated hydrocarbon with a pleasant smell similar to chloroform. It is a member of the chloroethanes substituted by two chlorines at positions 1 and 2. 1,2-Dichloroethane is a man-made chemical substance that is naturally not found in the environment.
1,2-Dichloroethane is soluble in most organic solvents. It sinks to the bottom in water and is basically insoluble. It is miscible with ethanol, chloroform, and ether. It can dissolve oil and grease, grease, and paraffin wax. Stable to water, acid and alkali, it has the effect of non-polar solvent and mutagens.
Solubility:Partially mixed soluble with water
Molecular Weight:98.9592 g/mol
The most common use of 1,2-dichloroethane is to be used as an intermediate in the production of vinyl chloride (polyvinyl chloride monomer).The other comon uses as follows:
1. Used as raw material for vinyl chloride; ethylene glycol; oxalic acid; ethylene diamine; tetraethyl lead; polyvinyl polyamine and bibenzoyl.
2. Used as a solvent for wax, fat, rubber, etc.
3. Add to leaded gasoline to remove lead.
4. In agriculture, it can be used as a fumigant for grains, pesticides for grains, and soil disinfectants.
5. Used for boron analysis, oil and tobacco extractant. It is also used in the manufacture of acetyl cellulose.