Ethane-1,2-diol,Ethylene glycol, Glycol, EG; MEG
Ethylene glycol is also known as glycol, 1,2-ethylene glycol, or EG for short. It is the simplest diol. .Ethylene glycol is a clear, colorless syrupysynthetic liquidthat absorbs water. It is odorless, but has a sweet taste.Ethylene glycolcan be miscible with water and acetone, but has low solubility in ethers. Used as a solvent, antifreeze and raw material for synthetic polyester.
1. Ethylene glycol is used to make antifreeze and de-icing solutions for cars, airplanes, and boats.
2. Ethylene glycol is used as antifreeze in cooling and heating systems, in hydraulic brake fluids.
3. An industrial humectant for Cellophane, fiber, leather and adhesive.
4. An ingredient of electrolytic condensers.
5. A solvent in the paint and plastics industries, in the formulations of printers' inks, stamp pad inks, and inks for ballpoint pens,
6. It is also used in hydraulic brake fluids and inks used in stamp pads, ballpoint pens, and print shops.
7. It has a role as a metabolite, a toxin, a solvent and a mouse metabolite.
8. A softening agent for cellophane,
9. and in the synthesis of safety explosives, plasticizers, synthetic fibers (Terylene, Dacron), and synthetic waxes.