Dimethyl sulfoxide is a sulfur-containing organic compound. It is a colorless and odorless transparent liquid at room temperature. It is a hygroscopic flammable liquid. It has the characteristics of high polarity, high boiling point, good thermal stability, aprotic, and water miscibility. It is soluble in most organic substances such as ethanol, propanol, benzene and chloroform, and is known as the "universal solvent". Heating in the presence of acid will produce a small amount of compounds such as methyl mercaptan, formaldehyde, dimethyl sulfide, and methanesulfonic acid. It decomposes under high temperature, and it reacts violently when it meets chlorine, and it burns in the air and emits a light blue flame
Solubility:Soluble in water
1. Dimethyl sulfoxide is widely used as a solvent and reaction reagent；
2. Used as a solvent for acetylene, aromatic hydrocarbons, sulfur dioxide and other gases and as a solvent for spinning acrylic fibers.
3. It can also be used as an additive for pesticides. It is also a very important chemical reagent.
4. An osmotic protective agent,
5. An extremely important aprotic polar solvent that is soluble in water and organic solvents.