Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is an important chemical product and raw material. Mainly used in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, plastics, fragrances, paints, etc.
1. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is used in soaps and lotions as an antiseptic although the exact mechanism of isopropanol's disinfecting action is not known. It might kill cells by denaturing cell proteins and DNA, interfering with cellular metabolism, and dissolving cell lipo-protein membranes.
2. Used in making cosmetics, skin and hair preparations, pharmaceuticals, perfumes, lacquer formulations, dye solutions, anti-freezes, soaps, window cleaners. Sold in 70% aqueous solution as rubbing alcohol.
3. It has a wide range of uses as organic raw materials and solvents. As a chemical raw material, it can produce acetone, hydrogen peroxide, methyl isobutyl ketone, diisobutyl ketone, isopropylamine, isopropyl ether, isopropyl chloride, as well as fatty acid isopropyl ester and chlorinated fatty acid isopropyl ester Wait. In fine chemicals, it can be used to produce isopropyl nitrate, isopropyl xanthate, triisopropyl phosphite, aluminum isopropoxide, medicine and pesticides, etc. It can also be used to produce diisopropyl acetone, isopropyl acetate and Thymol and gasoline additives.
4.As a solvent, it is a relatively inexpensive solvent in industry. It has a wide range of uses and can be freely mixed with water. It has a stronger solubility for lipophilic substances than ethanol. It can be used as a solvent for nitrocellulose, rubber, paint, shellac, alkaloids, etc. It can be used to produce coatings, inks, extractants, aerosols, etc. It can also be used as antifreeze, detergent, additive for blending gasoline, dispersant for pigment production, fixative for printing and dyeing industry, antifogging agent for glass and transparent plastics, etc. Used as a diluent for adhesives, antifreeze, dehydrating agent, etc.
5. As a chromatographic standard for determination of barium, calcium, copper, magnesium, nickel, potassium, sodium, strontium, nitrous acid, cobalt, etc.
6. Used as a defoaming agent for water-based fracturing fluids in oil wells. Air forms an explosive mixture, which can cause combustion and explosion when exposed to open flames and high heat, and can react strongly with oxidants.
7. In the electronics industry, it can be used as a cleaning and degreasing agent. In the oil industry, the extractant of cottonseed oil can also be used for the degreasing of animal-derived tissue membranes.