Methanol, also known as hydroxymethane, is an organic compound andtoxic. It is also called "wood alcohol" or "wood essence" because it was first discovered in dry distilled wood. Methanol is the primary alcohol, comprising a methyl and an alcohol group It is an alkyd alcohol, a one-carbon compound, a volatile organic compound and a primary alcohol. It is a conjugate acid of a methoxide.Methanol appears as a colorless fairly volatile liquid with a faintly sweet pungent odor like that of ethyl alcohol.The vapors are slightly heavier than air and may travel some distance to a source of ignition and flash back. Any accumulation of vapors in confined spaces, such as buildings or sewers, may explode if ignited.
1. It is used in the manufacture of formaldehyde and pesticides.
2. Used to remove water from automotive and aviation fuels.
3. A solvent for paints and plastics.
4. An ingredient in a wide variety of products.
5. It has a role as an amphiprotic solvent, a fuel, a human metabolite, an Escherichia coli metabolite, a mouse metabolite and a Mycoplasma genitalium metabolite.
6. An industrial solvent for inks, resins, adhesives, and dyes.
7. A solvent in the manufacture of cholesterol, streptomycin, vitamins, hormones, and other pharmaceuticals.
8. An antifreeze for automotive radiators.
9. An ingredient of gasoline
10. As fuel for picnic stoves.