Methyl acetate appears as a clear colorless flammable liquid with a fragrant odor. It is an acetate ester resulting from the formal condensation of acetic acid with methanol. It is an acetate ester, a methyl ester and a volatile organic compound.Methyl acetate is used as a solvent for many resins and oils. It has a role as a polar aprotic solvent, a fragrance and an EC 220.127.116.11 (pyroglutamyl-peptidase I) inhibitor.
Solubility:Slightly soluble in water, miscible in most organic solvents such as ethanol and ether
Molecular Weight:73.09 g/mol
1. Solvent for nitrocellulose, acetylcellulose, and many resins and oils;
2. manufacture artificial leather.
3. Catalyst for the biodegradation of organic materials.
4. In agriculture to destroy cocklebur seeds selectively.
5. Flavoring agent useful in rum, brandy, whiskey; lift for fruit flavors.
6. Paint remover compounds.