Sulfur dioxide appears as a colorless gas with a choking or suffocating odor. Boiling point -10°C. Heavier than air. Very toxic by inhalation and may irritate the eyes and mucous membranes. Under prolonged exposure to fire or heat the containers may rupture violently and rocket. Used to manufacture chemicals, in paper pulping, in metal and food processing. Rate of onset: Immediate & Delayed Persistence: Minutes to hours Odor threshold: 1 ppm Source/use/other hazard: Disinfectant and preserving in breweries and food/canning; textile industry; batteries.